[mythtv-users] On the verge of giving up

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Mon Sep 24 16:19:33 UTC 2007

On Sep 24, 2007, at 6:51 AM, Brian Wood wrote:
>> - LIRC: why does it take so much to get a damn remote to work??
>
> Mine worked out of the box with a Hauppauge remote.

I think the correct answer is, "because there are so damn many
remotes out there." ;)  If LIRC came with a remote, as most Windows
TV software does, and worked with that remote and that remote only,
it'd be really simple to configure.  But that's not how people use
LIRC; they generally want to make it work with whatever receiver came
with their card, and whatever remote they found in the bottom of
their junk drawer.  I'm all for that, but it does put the onus on the
user to find the right driver and map the buttons.  There's no auto-
detection that will tell the computer what remote you have in your
hand. ;)