[mythtv-users] Script to keep DCT-6xxx boxes alive

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 17:30:14 UTC 2007

On 7/11/07, Tom Greer <trgreer at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/11/07, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm getting this when running the script as root, any ideas?
> >
> > ./keep_dct_alive.sh: 24: Syntax error: "(" unexpected
> > --
> > Steve
>
> Steve,
>
> I encountered the same thing.  I wasn't sure whether my problem was
> distro-related or more global.
>
> The root cause of the problem is that, as a default, cron executes scripts
> using the Bourne (sh) shell, which does not support array variables.
>
> I did two things to fix the problem.  I believe that either one will work.
>
> First of all, I changed /etc/crontab, replacing the line "SHELL=/bin/sh" to
> "SHELL=/bin/bash".  That did not immediately fix the problem (probably
> because I didn't restart cron....)
>
> So then I read somewhere that if the line "#!/bin/bash" is the first line in
> a shell script, that cron will execute the file is the specified shell.  I
> had this as the second line.  So I moved to to line 1.
>
> Problem solved.

so I've been running this on the 59, 14, 29 and 44minute marks to try
and solve the 0bit recording problem, and for the most part it works,
but occasionally it seems to fail still, especially for shows that
don't start exactly at those times. I've been playing around by having
a script that runs keep_dct_alive every 20seconds and so far so good.

anyone have any ideas as to what would be the best way to run this
script in the background without having to ssh in?

thanks!

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!