[mythtv-users] Should I use LVM on this new raid?

Joshua M. Thompson funaho at jurai.org
Mon Sep 24 18:04:25 UTC 2007

On 9/24/07, David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us> wrote:

> If you have a RAID array established, and you decide to tear it down
> and use the drives elsewhere, DELETE THE ARRAY FIRST.  If you don't
> do this, nothing else is going to recognize those SATA drives, even
> to reformat them as JBOD.  When plugged into a regular SATA channel,
> the BIOS won't recognize them.  When plugged into an older 3ware
> card, it will recognize them but utterly fail to do anything with
> them.

Wow that's odd, because I just recently tore down a 60 GB RAID-1 that
was on a 3ware SATA RAID card and reused the drives in another machine
with no problems. In fact, with a little detective work to find the
right block offset I was actually able to create a temporary device
mapper volume on one of the drives and copy off the old data. Then I
tore down the device mapper volume and built a regular partition map
on the drive like I'd do with any new hard disk.

Really the only thing the controller does to the drive is steal a
chunk at the beginning of the drive for housekeeping data. That
shouldn't stop the BIOS from detecting the drive; you'll just have to
lay down a new partition map.