[mythtv-users] On the verge of giving up

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Sep 24 19:15:23 UTC 2007

Bearcat M. Sandor wrote:
> On Monday 24 September 2007 in an email titled "Re: [mythtv-users] On the
> verge of giving up" Brett Kosinski wrote:
>
>> Personally, I'd love to do away with the myriad config files and formats
>> littered all over my machine.  Heck, it could be something as simple as an
>> API that layered over a standard filesystem, producing text-based
>> configuration files of a known format, using a well-understood directory
>> structure.  This makes things user-editable, scalable, consistent, and
>> transparent.  It'll never happen, but it's a nice dream. :)
>>
>> Brett.
>
> I'm a KDE user so i may not know what i'm taking about, but in my few forays
> into Gnome it seems that gconf was kind of like what you describe. A regestry
> done right.  Also, most of the rest of your non-user specific config files
> are gonna be in /etc anyway.

Is that perhaps what used to be called LinuxConf? I know RedHat was
shipping that at one point. I forget the author's name but I know he was
a Canadian.

BTW, I see the US dollar has now dropped to parity with the Canadian
one. Perhaps this means our Canadian friends can buy stuff at more
reasonable prices?

beww