[mythtv-users] software encoding to MPEG2

Tom Metro tmetro+mythtv-users at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 19:58:17 UTC 2007

I'm thinking of installing an analog capture card that has no hardware
encoder (Philips SAA7130 tuner) to capture shows on the rare occasion
when both tuners on my PVR500 are occupied. I'd like to be able to
encode the videos as MPEG2, so they'd be directly compatible with the
native playback capabilities of the MediaMVP I'm using as a front-end.

While I'm sure I can always rig up a custom transcoder to post-process
the videos to MPEG2, I was wondering if it is possible to encode them as
MPEG2 in the first place. The wiki seems to suggest that MPEG4 and
RTjpeg are the only options for built-in software encoders.

If I do have to resort to recoding in something other than MPEG2 first,
and transcoding later, I'm guessing RTjpeg is probably the better pick
of the two due to it probably being less CPU intensive?

  -Tom