[mythtv-users] Transcode and replace

Ryan Steffes rbsteffes at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 20:18:15 UTC 2007

On 9/24/07, David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us> wrote:

> On Sep 24, 2007, at 10:15 AM, Jason Portwood wrote:
>

> > With transcoding can the videos that are transcoded be kept in the
> > recording directory and behave like the mpegs created?  That is
> > streamed
> > to frontends, expired as needed, and so on?  Or is it once the
> > videos are
> > transcoded they have to be managed seperately with mythvideo?
>
> They can stay in the recording directory.  In fact I believe that's
> the default.

Assuming you're referring to the built in transcoding, the default is
to leave them in the same place (with the option of also leaving the
original file) and they simply replace the old files in the database,
so it's more or less invisible to the user.

With something like nuvexport, you can load them into the database if
you want to, but as far as I know it'll take additional effort, using
something like the rebuild script in order to load them in.