[mythtv-users] HDTV- questions...

Charles Mason charlie.mas at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 21:39:51 UTC 2007

On 9/24/07, A JM <vbtalent at gmail.com> wrote:
> "If you are talking about using mythtv to upconvert regular broadcast to
> a higher resolution for your TV, yes it does that, but the picture
> doesn't automagically become HD quality."
>
> Yes, exactly what I was talking about. Is this the same technique used by
> the DVD players to upconvert to 1080p and or 1080i?

Sort of. When you see Up Scale advertised on a higher end DVD player
they usually talk about how they have some sort of enhancement they
also apply to the video as they up scale.

To be honest most of these don't make a big difference, although some
of the better ones do help. Nothing can take an SD signal and apply
some "proprietary magic" and get the same as a real 1080p picture shot
on a high end HD camera and delivered all the way to your TV in 1080p.

MythTV will certainly up scale the video if you set the output to a
higher resolution than the source. Will it look any better, may be
slightly, but nothing can beat real HD content.

Your best bet is to try playing DVDs through your MythTV box, if you
are happy with the picture stick with that. Other wise look at the up
scaling DVD players and look very closely at the demo's in the shops.
Just remember they can't up scale your actual MythTV output so they
can only help you with DVD playback.

Hope that helps.

Charlie M