[mythtv-users] Mythwelcome wakes up the backend

Craig Huff huffcslists at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 22:42:52 UTC 2007

On 9/24/07, MartinG <gronslet at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi list!
>
> I have a question regarding Mythwelcome.
> The short version:
>
> <snip to make it even shorter ;-) >
>
> Any help appreciated!

Martin,

If I understand the situation correctly, to summarize:
1) You have a BE (which may also be an FE) and a separate FE
2) Manual testing of alarm-script.sh on the BE is ok
3) You have configured MythWelcome on the FE
4) Attempts to let MythWelcome shutdown both the FE and the BE result in
errors on the BE, including this snippet:

        Backend log reads (/var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log):
        2007-09-23 12:24:05.858 I'm idle now... shutdown will occur in 180
seconds.
        2007-09-23 12:26:45.077 20 secs left to system shutdown!
        2007-09-23 12:26:55.091 10 secs left to system shutdown!

        Broadcast message from root (Sun Sep 23 12:27:05 2007):

        The system is going down for system halt NOW!
        sh: /usr/bin/nvram-wakeup: No such file or directory

Your problem appears to be that you overlooked setting up MythWelcome on the
BE.  I expect you'll find that when you run
        # mythwelcome -s
on the BE that the setting for nvram-wakeup command is still
/usr/bin/nvram-wakeup and needs to be changed to /home/mythtv/.mythtv/alarm-
script.sh.  Don't forget you have two separate systems being shut down and
each needs to be told how to do it.

While you're at it, consider what you want the system to do when it wakes
up.  As you have them currently configured, when the BE wakes up it won't
shut down until someone runs mythfrontend (on either box) manually because:
        On the FE you have:
                Automatically start: No
        And on the BE you have:
                Block shutdown before client connected: checked
                (and since I suspect you didn't configure MythWelcome on it,
the default for Automatically start: is NO, anyway)

I set my system up to *not* "Block shutdown before client connected" because
I have my system waking up to do recordings at all hours of the day and
night and to run mythfilldatabase and I want it to go back to sleep without
requiring my attention.  If you tried going the other way and set
"Automatically start" to yes, you're still stuck because it won't shut down
while a front end session is running.

HTH,
Craig.