[mythtv-users] OTA HD is sometimes good, sometimes bad...

George Mari george_mythusers at mari1938.org
Tue Sep 25 02:39:24 UTC 2007

matthew.garman at gmail.com wrote:
> This is basically a continuation of the thread I started several
> months ago:
>
>     http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/259337
>
> Since that post, I've upgraded to an HD Antenna, the Terk indoor
> antenna:
>
>     http://www.amazon.com/Terk-Technology-HDTVi-Indoor-Antenna/dp/B0001FV36E/
>
> Generally it works.  But occassionally---and quite
> unpredictably---recorded shows will be badly pixellated and have
> numerous audio problems.
>
> A good example is last night: I recorded The Simpsons at 7:00 PM
> (Central time); the recording had a few very minor blips, but was
> otherwise fine.  I tried to record The Family Guy at 8:00 PM, and it
> was unwatchable, for the whole duration (1 hour) of the show.  Badly
> pixellated, jerky audio, random pauses and jumps.
>
> I can't imagine what could have happened in the half hour between
> these two shows that would cause one to be nearly perfect and the
> other unwatchable.  I didn't move the antenna at all, didn't use the
> MythTV box for anything else during that time.
>
> Should I try another antenna?  Any other ideas?

Have you looked into the AVSForum's Chicago OTA-HD thread here?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=815397&goto=newpost

I currently have a cheap indoor antenna here in Vernon Hills, at 31
miles out.  (Not hooked to MythTv yet)  Reception drops out
periodically, due to things like weather, time of day or night, etc.
I've been doing research and that AVS Forum thread has loads of great info.

I saw from your previous thread you're about 17 miles out - should be
within range with an indoor antenna, but there are soooo many mitigating
factors that could be causing what sounds like a reception problem for
you - any metal in the walls of your house, tall buildings between your
antenna and the transmitter towers, trees, etc.  I know - just what you
wanted to hear.