[mythtv-users] OTA HD is sometimes good, sometimes bad...

matthew.garman at gmail.com matthew.garman at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 14:15:04 UTC 2007

On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 09:39:24PM -0500, George Mari wrote:
> Have you looked into the AVSForum's Chicago OTA-HD thread here?
>
> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=815397&goto=newpost

No, but I'll definitely take a look!

> I saw from your previous thread you're about 17 miles out - should
> be within range with an indoor antenna, but there are soooo many
> mitigating factors that could be causing what sounds like a
> reception problem for you - any metal in the walls of your house,
> tall buildings between your antenna and the transmitter towers,
> trees, etc.  I know - just what you wanted to hear.

Yeah, based on what you and William Munsun said, I'm afraid it's
some kind of interferance that's out of my control.

We are about 17 miles out.  We're in a rented condo.  Our apartment
is on the top floor of a five story brick building.  The direction
to the city is southeast, and we're in the northwest corner of the
building.

Since I am on the top floor, I was thinking I could just bolt a tall
pole to the balcony, and attach an external HD antenna to that...
somehow I think that's forbidden by the condo rules!  :)

Anyway, thanks for the feedback.  I'll get started on the AVSForum
thread.

Matt