[mythtv-users] Dual HDTV Tuner for Australia

David Segall david at segall.net
Tue Sep 25 15:59:56 UTC 2007

Peter Schachte wrote:
> Carl Lewis wrote:
>>> 3: Two tuners should be plenty for free-to-air in Australia, though I
>>> guess it depends on your viewing habits.  Lots of stuff is repeated, so
>> I've three tuners as well and find the third is used
>> consistently for a month or so every year, even here in Tas,
>> ratings season. The rest of the year, well as Simon indicated
>> two is 99% fine.
>
> I have 3 tuners.  In the next week, my third tuner is scheduled to be used 5
> times, and I still have 3 conflicts.  Note, however, that I record 1 minute early
> and up to 20 minutes late for most shows, and a family of 5 with wide-ranging
> interests.  I can usually fix conflicts by overriding recording schedules to give
> up start early/end late when recording consecutive programs on the same channel,
> but then you usually have to watch the beginning or ending of one program on a
> different recording.
MythTV will do that automatically if you set a global "start early" and
"finish late" time. I'm in Australia and my "Default 'Start Early'
minutes for new recording rules" is zero and my "Default 'End Late'
minutes for new recording rules" is 10. These options are in the
Setup->TV Settings->Recording Priorities->Set Recording Priorities menu.
I find this feature of MythTV invaluable but I only have two tuners and
I can see why you may be better off to fix an occasional problem
manually rather have a TV program split over two entries in your
recorded programs list.