[mythtv-users] Coax splitters - how painful are they?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Sep 25 16:11:18 UTC 2007

Tom Dexter wrote:
> On 9/25/07, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
>> Tom Dexter wrote:
>>
>> So where in NJ are you? I used to live in Secaucus and work for WWOR.
>>
>> beww
>
> I'm in the Bound Brook area (Somerset County), pretty much the dead
> center of the state.

That explains getting the NYC and PHIL stations. I couldn't figure out
why you would need a rotor in the grade B coverage contour, but I
understand now.

To get back on topic, at least a little, most folks don't realize that
you should never have adjacent channels in any given market (4 and 5 are
not adjacent, nor are 6 and 7). The only time you can run into this
situation is when, like you, you are between markets. This can cause
problems with the aural carrier from one station throwing "beats" into
the upper-adjacent one.

Cable systems avoid this by running the aural carrier 15-17 db. below
the visual, while OTA stations run it 10db. down. In some special cases
the FCC has granted authority for an OTA station to run the aural
carrier below the normal power, to avoid problems, but this is rare.

beww