[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu or Ubuntu Alternate for RAID?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Sep 25 18:33:34 UTC 2007

Eric Robinson wrote:
> I'm trying to install my MythTV backend and would like to partition my
> drives such that the system drives are installed with RAID-0 and the
> MythTV space is on RAID-5 (both using mdadm).  I'm looking at the
> Mythbuntu installation GUI right now and I can't see anything about RAID.
>
> A quick search on the interwebs reveals this:
>
> That mentions the Ubuntu Alternate CD install which seems much simpler
> than using a LiveCD (including Mythbuntu's).
>
> What are the pros and cons to using Mythbuntu over a normal "Ubuntu
> installation using the MythTV packages"?
> http://www.mythbuntu.org/existing-ubuntu-alternate
>
> Is it only the space used for programs and the window manager?  I'm not
> at all worried about that because my system partition is going to be
> over 300GB when RAID-0'd...
>
> Thoughts?

I wouldn't put the system on a RAID0 array. RAID0 is more prone to
problems due to drive failure (in direct proportion to the number of
drives).

I'd put enough of the system to boot up and run the basics on a "normal"
drive partition. If you need RAID0 for some reason (capacity or access
speed) you can then mount a RAID0 partition someplace and use that.

You're just asking for trouble IMHO to put the entire system on a RAID0
array, you want the system to be able to come up with an absolute
minimum of things working.

beww