[mythtv-users] Coax splitters - how painful are they?

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Tue Sep 25 19:08:47 UTC 2007

On Tue, Sep 25, 2007 at 09:56:04AM -0400, Tom Dexter wrote:
> For OTA would he possibly be better off using a mast mounted amp
> rather than a powered splitter?  That's what I'm doing.

If you're OTA, you're *always* better putting the amp up the pole, yes.

Note that you can have *too much* signal, as well; it usually seems to
cause herringbone distortion.

And don't forget "twist": the signal level difference from one end of
the band to the other; most consumer amps don't have an adjustment for
that.

Does there remain no way to get a signal-strength reading out of the
tuner cards?

Cheers,
-- jra