[mythtv-users] Should I use LVM on this new raid?

Fedor Pikus fpikus at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 19:19:37 UTC 2007

On 9/25/07, Jay R. Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 11:46:42PM -0500, Brian Foddy wrote:
> > There are two different variants.  The 7200.10's are the standard consumer
> > line.  The ES series is the enterprise line.  Designed for more continuous
> > 24x7 operation, and also have a higher tolerance for vibrations introduced
> > from other drives; placed in a tight enclosure, one drive's activity can cause
> > the neighboring drive to miss its read/write it was lined up for.
>
> Ah.
>
> > Until early last week, I though only Hitachi had 1000GB drives even
> > readily available, I thought the Seagates were still yet to be released,
> > and I didn't know they were a new generation.
>
> That describes, pretty much word for word, where I was before you
> mentioned them.  :-)
>
> $370/tb, huh?
>
> I wonder how many of those I can fit in my "TRS-80 Hard Disk Drive"
> housing?

I started buying Seagate drives almost exclusively when they offered
5-year warranty. But... I just RMAed two Seagate drives, they were
400G drives, they were in my Myth back-end, part of a 1.5TB RAID6. I
bought them together, same model, probably same lot even, and they
failed about 6 hours apart. Seagate sent me refurbished 500G drives as
replacement (when I submitted the RMA on the web, the upgrade option
was offered for $99, I declined of course, but they still sent 500G
disks).

--
Fedor G Pikus (fpikus at gmail.com)
http://www.pikus.net