[mythtv-users] OTA HD is sometimes good, sometimes bad...

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Tue Sep 25 16:24:52 UTC 2007

Ryan Steffes wrote:
> On 9/25/07, matthew.garman at gmail.com <matthew.garman at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 09:39:24PM -0500, George Mari wrote:
>>> Have you looked into the AVSForum's Chicago OTA-HD thread here?
>>>
>>> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=815397&goto=newpost
>> No, but I'll definitely take a look!
>>
>>> I saw from your previous thread you're about 17 miles out - should
>>> be within range with an indoor antenna, but there are soooo many
>>> mitigating factors that could be causing what sounds like a
>>> reception problem for you - any metal in the walls of your house,
>>> tall buildings between your antenna and the transmitter towers,
>>> trees, etc.  I know - just what you wanted to hear.
>> Yeah, based on what you and William Munsun said, I'm afraid it's
>> some kind of interferance that's out of my control.
>>
>> We are about 17 miles out.  We're in a rented condo.  Our apartment
>> is on the top floor of a five story brick building.  The direction
>> to the city is southeast, and we're in the northwest corner of the
>> building.
>>
>> Since I am on the top floor, I was thinking I could just bolt a tall
>> pole to the balcony, and attach an external HD antenna to that...
>> somehow I think that's forbidden by the condo rules!  :)
>>
>> Anyway, thanks for the feedback.  I'll get started on the AVSForum
>> thread.
>

> The AVSForum people will be very quick to point out that it doesn't
> matter that it's forbidden by the condo rules, because it's illegal to
> forbid it.  Some people seem to overlook the fact that not having your
> entire neighborhood hate you can be less important than defending your
> right to receive broadcast television.

Don't mistake the FCC rules which override town/county/home-owner
association rules forbidding antenna towers, with condo rules.

In a condo, the unit owner does not own the outside of the unit. That is
part of the common structure. In a technical sort of sense, attaching
anything to the outside of the unit is a trespass to the common
facilities. Even the balcony may not 'belong' to the unit owner. It may
be an exclusive use area but part of the common elements.

In lots of condo's the demising wall is the back of the wallboard in the
outside rooms...You technically breach the rules by putting a nail
through the wallboard to hang a picture....

Different situations mean different results.

Geoff

--
              R. Geoffrey Newbury
            Barrister and Solicitor