[mythtv-users] OT: Cable Modems...

William Munson william_munson at bellsouth.net
Tue Sep 25 21:17:58 UTC 2007

Andrew Close wrote:
> i'm actually going to get cable service :D
> and in the process i'm switching my Internet provider as well.  i have
> a cable modem that is ~3 years old; works fine, i have had relatively
> few issues with it.  is there any point in upgrading to a more recent
> cable modem?
>
> i know this isn't really a Myth specific topic, but assumed that a
> good number of you probably have cable Internet service as well as tv
> service...
>
> thanks!

By now you have read the other responses and you may get lucky but if
your existing provider has locked the box with a password then you will
be forced to upgrade since the new guys cannot access your box. Plus
later generations of modems seem to produce better speeds due to
improved adaptive cancelation etc...

PS - For me the Extreme DSL 6.0 blows away my old Comcrap cable modem.
Almost 150Kbps faster on all my performance tests. Plus they have a
newsgroup server that carries all the channels including the binarys.
Good retention too.  Saves me another $30/month not having to keep a
giganews account active.