[mythtv-users] OT: Cable Modems...

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Tue Sep 25 22:38:47 UTC 2007

On Sep 25, 2007, at 3:20 PM, Brian Wood wrote:
> Since I run servers I want fast outbound speed. I presently have 3Mb
> inbound and 1Mb outbound on a "business" connection, but I'd like to
> have better upload speed, which my cable operator presently claims
> they
> can't give me.
>
> Obviously the answer would be a T1, but that $400/month charge
> holds me
> back.

If you live close enough to the central office, SDSL is your answer.
Last I checked Speakeasy was willing to sell me 1.5 Mbps SDSL for
about a third the price of a T1.  (Not that I need it.  But it did
make me wonder why anyone pays for a T1 anymore.)

I dropped Comcast Cable Internet in favor of Speakeasy ADSL a couple
of years ago. Comcast's service was hideously unreliable, and I could
never get anyone on the phone who knew what was going on.  I haven't
looked back.  I'm paying a little more per month, but the reliability
is vastly improved, and on the rare occasions when I have had
problems I was able to talk to someone knowledgeable right away.
Best Buy recently bought Speakeasy and I'm keeping my fingers crossed
that they don't ruin the company.