[mythtv-users] Should I use LVM on this new raid?

Brian Foddy bfoddy at visi.com
Wed Sep 26 00:11:38 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 25 September 2007, Fedor Pikus wrote:
> On 9/25/07, Jay R. Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 11:46:42PM -0500, Brian Foddy wrote:
> > > There are two different variants.  The 7200.10's are the standard
> > > consumer line.  The ES series is the enterprise line.  Designed for
> > > more continuous 24x7 operation, and also have a higher tolerance for
> > > vibrations introduced from other drives; placed in a tight enclosure,
> > > one drive's activity can cause the neighboring drive to miss its
> > > read/write it was lined up for.
> >
> > Ah.
> >
> > > Until early last week, I though only Hitachi had 1000GB drives even
> > > readily available, I thought the Seagates were still yet to be
> > > released, and I didn't know they were a new generation.
> >
> > That describes, pretty much word for word, where I was before you
> > mentioned them.  :-)
> >
> > $370/tb, huh?
> >
> > I wonder how many of those I can fit in my "TRS-80 Hard Disk Drive"
> > housing?
>
> I started buying Seagate drives almost exclusively when they offered
> 5-year warranty. But... I just RMAed two Seagate drives, they were
> 400G drives, they were in my Myth back-end, part of a 1.5TB RAID6. I
> bought them together, same model, probably same lot even, and they
> failed about 6 hours apart. Seagate sent me refurbished 500G drives as
> replacement (when I submitted the RMA on the web, the upgrade option
> was offered for $99, I declined of course, but they still sent 500G
> disks).

I'm not going to be betting too much on these for a while.  But
historically, I've had very good luck with Seagates.  My parents myth
boxes have 3 running 24x7, just standard desktop drives.  My old raid
of 5 10k scsi drives ran non-stop for 4-5 years without a failure (raid0).
I can't remember the last drive I've had die of any make.  Maybe that
means I'm due for a bad rash...

Brian