[mythtv-users] OT: Cable Modems...

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Sep 26 04:07:23 UTC 2007

Yan Seiner wrote:
> Brian Wood napsal(a):
>> Yan Seiner wrote:
>>

>>> Funny how that works.  The telco here (Qwest) swore to me that ?DSL was
>>> not available in my neighborhood.  So I contacted another provider who
>>> promptly hooked me up.  I asked them about the availability issue; turns
>>> out they rent the lines from Qwest...
>>>
>>> It works for me....  And since Qwest is still telling everyone DSL is
>>> not available in my neighborhood, I have the whole loop to myself.
>>>
>> Several possibilities. Did they hook you up on a separate loop or on
>> your main voice line? I've never heard of an outfit being able to go
>> onto your main POTS line.
>>
> It comes in on the POTS line - or possibly the secondary pair.  I'm
> still not sure what the arrangement is but it works for me.  I haven't
> seen one of those DSL filters so it may be on the secondary.

If you don't have "frying bacon" on your POTS lines without filters you
probably don't have any of DSL on it (there might be exceptions, like a
direct run fro the NID to the DSL modem, you could filter the other runs
without a filter on each instrument, also some phones have integrated
filters these days).

>> It may be "working" but not turned over to marketing yet.

Or marginal some way. I've heard of neighborhoods where things were so
strange (some fed from concentrators, some not) that only about 50% of
drops met spec, so they decided to not market the area rather than have
wars with people calling and screaming "but my next-door neighbors have
service, on both sides".

> Been that way for 2 1/2 years.....
>
> Shhhhh.  :-)

Really doesn't matter, if you're happy with what you have, certainly
keep it.

beww