[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu or Ubuntu Alternate for RAID?

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Wed Sep 26 09:17:39 UTC 2007

Eric Robinson wrote:
> Brian Wood wrote:
>> I wouldn't put the system on a RAID0 array. RAID0 is more prone to
>> problems due to drive failure (in direct proportion to the number of
>> drives).
> Points taken.  I guess I'll put the root filesystem on a single drive
> and then use RAID0 for the /home directory.  Unless you can specify a
> "working directory" for the backend (LiveTV recording, transcoding,
> etc.) to be anywhere you like... does that sound feasible?
Actually I wouldn't bother with any kind of raid if your disk is only going to
contain /home. It's mega-overkill. On a Myth backend /home is tiny, and nothing
you can't backup onto a floppy or CD or USB stick. Worst case, you might lose
some channel icons. You do do backups of sensitive info right? Leaving your
entire physical security to raid (of any type) is IHMO foolishness.

Mike Perkins