[mythtv-users] On the verge of giving up

Brett Kosinski fancypantalons at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 12:25:54 UTC 2007

On 9/26/07, Mike Perkins <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk> wrote:

> Brett Kosinski wrote:
> >
> > Um... huh?  How is, say, a standardized location for configuration files
> > and their formats, along with an API to ease the construction and
> > maintenance of said files, any different than what we have now, aside
> > from making things sane and consistent?
> >
> > Besides, I'd love to hear how /etc solves these "concurrency and access
> > control issues" which you allude to.
> >
> Because each app that wants to read/update it's config just opens a single
> file
> (or group of files under a dedicated catalog) instead of contending for
> the same
> resource, i.e. the registry hive that's got everything in it. Every app
> has a
> different file, so no concurrency arises.

What part of "standardized location for configuration files and their
formats, along with an API to ease the construction..." don't you
understand?  I explicitly reject the centralized database model that
Microsoft has chosen, instead opting to represent the same data in the
filesystem itself, much as we do now, only with a proscribed directory
structure and file format.

Think about it.  The registry is what?  A hierarchical arrangement of
key-value pairs, essentially.  There is *nothing* about that model that
can't be represented in the filesystem itself.

Further, each text file in /etc is human-readable, and reasonably easy to
> find,

Again, apparently you didn't read what I wrote.  This is precisely how
things would work if I had my way, just like today.  It's all theoretical,
of course, but... :)

Personally, I think you're still mistaking the concept of a "centralized
configuration repository" with the Windows registry.  The latter is an
exceedingly poor an implementation of the former.  The former, however, is
not a fundamentally bad idea, if done right.  Which was my point at the
outset.

Now, shall we move on to counting the number of angels that can dance on the
head of a pin? ;)

Brett.