[mythtv-users] New video renderers/Suggestions

Ryan Steffes rbsteffes at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 13:47:24 UTC 2007

On 9/25/07, Brian Walter <blwalter at gmail.com> wrote:
> Mark Kendall wrote:
> >
> >  -----Helpful information snipped ------
> >
> >  - then pick a primary and secondary deinterlacer (I won't go into
> > those now - must do some work)
> >
> > Bear in mind that there is also an interaction between playback
> > profiles and xrandr if you are using it (e.g. you might switch to a
> > 1080i/p mode to play back 1080i/p mpeg2 material and use xvmc as the
> > decoder/renderer combination at this resolution to assist with the
> > extra decoding burden)
> >
> > Does that give you a start?
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Mark
> >
> THANK YOU!!
>
> Definitely  gives me a starting point -  I like the options and
> selection, and the ability to chose based on resolution.  Just need a
> clarification of the renderes:)
>
> BTW - it has been my experience (note: only my experience, I've not
> heard from others), that using openGL as the decoder leads to FF/RW
> pausing after a few seconds - and our friend Prebuffering Pauses.
>
> Again, thanks for the info

I appreciate this information as well; when I was trying to get xvmc
to work on svn it was driving me nuts that the howtos on the wiki are
no longer valid because most of the settings they discuss have been
pushed into the playback profiles and they seem to be completely
undocumented.

If you'd be kind enough to elaborate on how the resolution (? at least
it's what it looks like) checking works for picking which profile to
use, and on what the various interlacing options do, I'd be happy to
go ahead and try and write it up on the wiki, if you wouldn't mind me
paraphrasing you!

My particular issue is that I'm playing out HDTV to a regular
television, and I get lots of what I assume to be interlacing
artifacts during fast motion scenes.  I literally JUST got the card
working this week, so I have no idea if this is a "normal" thing or
not, but I hope it isn't.  An example is during the opening scene of
Heroes this week, it all looks like a high quality movie, until
there's a clip of a cheerleader doing a flip.  As she flips, her legs
"digitize" for lack of a better word, turning into stripes that don't
quite match up.  I see similar brief effects in other high motion
scenes and don't know how to correct them.

Ryan