[mythtv-users] OT: Cable Modems...

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Sep 26 13:51:35 UTC 2007

Matt Mossholder wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-09-25 at 20:33 -0600, Brian Wood wrote:
>> Wonder what they use on those ATMs (bank machine, not a network
>> protocol) that use dialups? I read somewhere that folks were putting
>> recorders on the lines but I suspect that's apocryphal.
>>
>> beww
>
> Many of them are doing something kinda neat... 0B+D ISDN... normal ISDN
> is 2B+D, where the B's are the 2 64Kbps data channels, and the D is the
> control channel. Many of the ATM machines that seem "fast" are driven
> this way, with all the data going over the "always on" control channel.

You mean ISDN no longer stands for "It Still Does Nothing"?

This would probably work for the machines at banks and the like (the one
at my bank seems to respond before I hit the keys) but not for the ones
at the Inconvenience Stores, where you can't use the ATM if the teenage
"Associate" is talking to his/her girl/boyfriend on the one phoneline
into the building. Or they can't verify a credit card if the ATM is in use.

But most kids don't seem to know how to talk on a phone these days, all
they do is "text", usually while driving.

beww