[mythtv-users] On the verge of giving up

jedi at mishnet.org jedi at mishnet.org
Wed Sep 26 16:11:49 UTC 2007

> On 9/26/07, Mike Perkins <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk> wrote:
>>
>> Brett Kosinski wrote:
>> >
>> > Um... huh?  How is, say, a standardized location for configuration
>> files
>> > and their formats, along with an API to ease the construction and
>> > maintenance of said files, any different than what we have now, aside
>> > from making things sane and consistent?
>> >
>> > Besides, I'd love to hear how /etc solves these "concurrency and
>> access
>> > control issues" which you allude to.
>> >
>> Because each app that wants to read/update it's config just opens a
>> single
>> file
>> (or group of files under a dedicated catalog) instead of contending for
>> the same
>> resource, i.e. the registry hive that's got everything in it. Every app
>> has a
>> different file, so no concurrency arises.
>

> What part of "standardized location for configuration files and their
> formats, along with an API to ease the construction..." don't you
> understand?  I explicitly reject the centralized database model that

We understand just fine. We just don't buy into the idea.

We realize that centralizing anything increases the technical requirements
for it and also makes it easier to bugger the entire thing. It doesn't
matter what you try to call it.

[done]

Standardization is another matter and an entirely different can of worms.