[mythtv-users] HDTV tuner

Ryan Steffes rbsteffes at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 17:52:42 UTC 2007

On 9/26/07, Jason Kraftcheck <jkraftch at facstaff.wisc.edu> wrote:
> The three HDTV tuner cards I could find online are:
>    pcHDTV HD-5500       $130
>    ATI TV Wonder 650    $120
>    AVerMedia MCE A180   $ 80
>
> Are there working linux drivers for the ATI card?
>
> The AVerMedia card seems to be the obvious choice given the price.  Is
> there some less-than-obvious reason not to go with that card?
>
> thanks much,
>
> - jason

Only thing I'm aware of with the A180 is that apparently the analog
capture isn't so great.  I don't know though, I just got mine and
didn't try the analog portion.  I needed upgrade my kernel to get the
dvb drivers, but it was a painfree installation.

At least, the card itself was.  I upgraded my version of Mandriva
linux after upgrading the kernel and that borked my whole system until
I tracked down every setting I forgot to perserve, but the card itself
worked great with just the new kernel.  I was at 2.6.11 and upgraded
to 2.6.17.  I assume this kernel requirement for the dvb drivers will
be the same for all the cards though.

Ryan