[mythtv-users] video goes to sleep and DVD rip problem

Craig Huff huffcslists at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 14:01:30 UTC 2007

On 9/26/07, alan <alan at crabbnet.com> wrote:

> I got several errors when I tried running the command, andno luck so far
> trying to search dpms on google.
>
> On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 12:42:11 -0500, "Craig Huff" <huffcslists at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Alan and Jim,
> >
> > I don't recall where I found it, or I'd give you more specifics, but
> there
> > was another place that was turning dpms on despite the settings
> > recommended
> > in Jarod's HOWTO.  Try running this on your system:
> >         # find / -type f -exec grep -l dpms {} \;
> > and then check the files that are not binaries to see what matched the
> > "dpms" pattern.
> >
> > You could try googling "dpms", too.
> >
> > Craig.

Alan,

You probably ran the find command as a plain user and got a lot of messages
saying something about "Permission denied" or something similar.  You can
weed out such cruft like so: (all on one line in case the next line gets
wrapped)

    # find / -type f -exec grep -l dpms {} \; 2>&1 | egrep -v "Permission
denied"

If you get more than one kind of complaint, just expand the last part with
pipe-
characters and the strings to be ignored, like so:

    # find / -type f -exec grep -l dpms {} \; 2>&1 | egrep -v "Permission
denied|Second type|Third type"

That will get you down to just the list of files that are worth looking
into.  Then
you'll need to filter out binaries and such with a command on each of
the file names similar to:

    # file /path/to/candidate/file

and stick with ones that don't have descriptions mentioning "binary" (kinda
hard
for us mere mortals to read ;-).

HTH,
Craig.