[mythtv-users] Troubleshooting failing DVD rips

Matt skd5aner at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 17:22:23 UTC 2007

On 9/27/07, Mike Perkins <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk> wrote:
> Matt wrote:
> > On 9/27/07, Matt <skd5aner at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >>    I'm having some troubles recently with ripping DVDs, that I had
> >> previously experienced.
> >
> > Typo - Should Read:
> > I'm having some troubles recently with ripping DVDs, that I _had not_
> > previously experienced.
> >
> > Also, I see this guy is reporting the same issue:
> > http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/291259#291259
> >
> > BTW - I'm running current SVN from a few days ago, but have seen this
> > problem pop up over the past month, maybe two.  Before that - any
> > problems were few and far between.
> >
> Sorry to ask the obvious - have you checked that your DVD burner is functioning
> OK? What I mean is, does it need a clean? Is it getting old and failing?
>
> It's hardware. Wear and ageing are things that happen to hardware.
>
> Mike Perkins

True... I need to eliminate the drive as the culprit.  I'll attempt to
do that ASAP, but I'm concerned that the drive's just fine.  The drive
is less than a year old.

Also, I did check the mtd.log.  I do have 1 DVD that's showing the
issues of invalid blocks used for copy protection, but the other DVDs
just fail even though mtd.log says they were succesful.

12:16:50: launching job: job dvd 2 1 -1 1 -1 /mythtv/media/videos/DVDVIDEO
12:16:50: Using DVD source: /dev/dvd
12:16:50: ISO DVD image copy to: /mythtv/media/videos/DVDVIDEO
12:25:03: job thread finished copying ISO image
12:25:05: job finished successfully: job dvd 2 1 -1 1 -1
/mythtv/media/videos/DVDVIDEO

However, it didn't completely finish.

Thanks!
Matt