[mythtv-users] DVB-T Channel Numbers (UK)

James Fidell james at fidell.co.uk
Fri Sep 28 08:44:20 UTC 2007

Nick Morrott wrote:
> On 27/09/2007, Justin Hornsby <justin.hornsby at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The ultimate plan is to make it so any UK user can enter their
>> postcode & TV provider / package details & it'll do a lot of the work
>> itself.  One thing missing is error checking, and the channel xml data
>> files will soon need updating due to the upcoming channel shuffles on
>> Freeview - but most of what's left to do is fairly small details.
>
> I'm planning on having a go at getting it added to the XMLTV uk_rt
> grabber directly in the next few weeks.

The whole channel-shuffling thing in the UK is something of a PITA, I
reckon, and I'd like not to have to deal with it.  I don't want to have
to stop the backend just to drop and rescan.  Neither do I like the mess
that ensues when a channel changes channel number and (because chanid ==
channum in the channel table) my recordings "forget" which channel they
were recorded from.

I find myself wondering if it might not be possible to modify/extend the
EIT scanner to pick up new and moved channels and add them to the
database automagically, updating all the channel data as appropriate.  I
guess the bottom line is that in an ideal world changes of channel
numbers should "just work" without user intervention.

Anyone have thoughts on the viability or otherwise of this?  Or is there
an easier way that's staring me in the face (and therefore I can't see
it, naturally)?

James