[mythtv-users] Sata software mdadm raid spin down help

Gene Stapp genestapp at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 09:31:00 UTC 2007

On 9/27/07, Jonathan Rogers <jonner at teegra.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 2007-09-26 at 23:24 -0700, genestapp at charter.net wrote:
> > I'm not sure I'm doing this right. I'm currently using the command
> /sbin/hdparm -S 244 /dev/sd*  in rc.local to set my hard drives in sata
> raid arrays that are rarely used to spin down. Also for mounting purposes I
> have the fstab entry set to noatime. Looking at my kill-a-watt meter and
> listening to the drives, they never seem to go into a spin down state. Any
> ideas on what I am doing wrong and why the drives are not going into a
> spindown state after 2 hours. The drives in question are not the myth
> recording array but just high def storage that is rarely accessed, so no
> point paying for 50 watts of power usage.
>
> Wow, you must have a really wide display. I have two SATA drives in my
> MythtTV machine, one with the OS and recordings and the other has only
> recordings. When I experimented with the the hdparm -S settings, I
> couldn't seem to get the recordings-only drive to spin down when it had
> no activity, even setting -S to very small values, though I could force
> it with -y. However, checking the status now with -C, I can see that it
> is in standby mode, so maybe I just wasn't patient enough earlier.
>
> While testing, make sure nothing is accessing the drive by unmounting
> any filesystems on it. I am not using MD, so I don't know how that might
> affect it. I assume that it wouldn't need to access the drive when no
> filesystem on an MD device is mounted, but I really don't know.
>
> BTW, if the drives in question don't contain MythTV recordings, what do
> they contain? I'd suggest that if they're rarely accessed, you probably
> don't need RAID anyway. If you want to protect against drive failure,
> you can use a periodic mirroring via rsync or something rather than
> RAID.
> --
> Jonathan Rogers <jonner at teegra.net>
>
> As to the display, it's a 37" westinghouse 1080p here on my desktop.
I'll go ahead and mess with it by unmounting, etc and see what happens. The
2tb raid array contains bluray, hddvd rips, x264 hd rips, tv shows, movies,
apps and games.. pretty much your standard storage array. I'm using it in
raid 5 because I don't want to have to rip any of it again if a drive
dies...