[mythtv-users] Understanding HD Antennas ( was HDHomeRun and jumpy video)

Ryan Steffes rbsteffes at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 13:33:23 UTC 2007

> At TV frequencies, even UHF ones, with common TV antenna designs and
> under real world conditions you can pretty safely ignore it.
>
> TV antennas are designed to receive a very wide range of frequencies,
> and the effects you speak of are very frequency-dependent. So, if you
> found an "ideal" height for one channel it would almost certainly not be
> ideal for other channels.
>
> All broad-band TV antenna designs are a series of major compromises.
>
> This is of interest to wave propagation and antena design experts, and
> is not really of practical use to homeowners.
>
> beww

The most important design decision, from my reading (not tons of
practical experience), is the information that most television
antennas are designed to around the important of VHF, but in most
areas, digital OTA is carried on UHF frequencies.  There are lots of
highly directional UHF optimized antenna out there now that may work
better, but as always, your results may vary.

The ChannelMaster antennas seem extremely popular among the OTA HD
buffs on avsforums in my area, and are very reasonably priced.