[mythtv-users] "get the sources and fix it yourself"

Brett Kosinski fancypantalons at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 15:07:07 UTC 2007

> In my opinion, the haughty attitude of many long term Linux users has been
> the #1 impediment to the spread of Linux.

Well, ignoring your anecdote for the moment (given we have no idea how
you asked the question, it's unclear what the actual situation was...
if it was as you described, the chanop was a jackass, and most
certainly doesn't represent the majority of Linux users, or even the
majority of people subscribed to this mailing list), I, frankly, don't
give a damn about the "spread of Linux".  Yeah, I know there are those
"FLOSS" zealots out there who see the rise of free software as some
kind of holy "cause" against teh ev1l Micro$oft (many of whom whined
and complained when it was announced that SD was gonna be for-pay),
but I'm not one of them, and I'm willing to bet that goes for most
Linux users.  All I'm interested in is a set of tools which solve my
problems... if they aren't wonderfully pretty, or perfectly suited to
my 86 year-old grandma, so be it.  Why should I, or anyone else for
that matter, care?

Now, that's not to say it's okay to deride those who ask honest
questions.  But as Jay pointed out elsewhere, I see no reason why we
should tolerate ignorate, lazy users who simply want their problems
solved for them. *shrug*

> But if you do a bad job, or you are rude, they will tell EVERYONE, and they certainly won't come back.

So what?  *shrug*  Are we supposed to feel heartbroken that we've lost
one or two overly-demanding users who would've contributed nothing
back?  Thanks, but no thanks.

Brett.