[mythtv-users] Marvell drivers WAS:gforce 7600gs

Norm Dugas normdugas at yahoo.ca
Fri Sep 28 17:34:55 UTC 2007

Deyan Bektchiev wrote:

> On 9/28/07, *mythtv at clayfish.net <mailto:mythtv at clayfish.net>*
> <mythtv at clayfish.net <mailto:mythtv at clayfish.net>> wrote:
>
>     Begin forwarded message:
>
>     > From: les ( bert at pacbell.net <mailto:bert at pacbell.net>)
>     > Date Sent:
>     > To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org <mailto:mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
>     > Subject: [mythtv-users] gforce 7600gs
>     >
>     > hello all... am just starting to build a box.. was thinking of
>     using the
>     > gforce 7600gs because my sony hdtv has hdmi in..
>     > and any ideas for a motherboard would be nice too..
>     >
>     > les
>     > mythtv-users mailing list
>     > mythtv-users at mythtv.org <mailto:mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
>
>     The 7600GS works great.  I don't think you can go wrong there.  I
>     have no experience on the 6200 series.  I had trouble getting a
>     5200 to drive a 1080p LCD TV (see below), but they work fine on a
>     720p TV, a 1024x768 LCD monitor, and a S-Video and composite out
>     to a standard definition TV in my house.
>
>     I have a Athlon X2 4200 on a nForce3 250 chipset motherboard
>     (Epox) with 2GB of memory running Fedora 6 w/Atrpms and the nVidia
>     proprietary drivers ( 100.14.11) as a FE/BE.  I was running a 5200
>     to drive a Sony 720p 42" LCD projection TV.  Playback was clear
>     and smooth.   The projection TV was a little too washed out in my
>     bright living, so I moved it to the bedroom and got a Westinghouse
>     1080p 47" LCD panel TV.  The same FE/BE had problems driving the
>     1080p LCD.   The picture was gorgeous but the playback was choppy,
>     even standard definition.  I tried the "UseEvents" "True" option
>     and disabling the Composite extension that had been suggested in
>     this list, but they made no difference.  CPU on one core was 65%
>     on HD playback.  The thing that pointed me to the video card being
>     inadequate was the big slowdown of the OpenGL menu transitions
>     moving from 720p to 1080p.  I bought the most advanced fanless
>     nVidia AGP card I could find, a 7600GS, and replaced the 5200.
>     OpenGL transitions went back to normal.  Playback was smooth, even
>     in HD.  CPU was still 65% on one core.  The 5200 is still driving
>     the Sony 720p perfectly well in my bedroom FE (Sempron 3400).
>
>     I have had the best luck with nVidia chipset motherboards for AMD
>     CPUs.  I recently gave up fighting a VIA K8T890 motherboard (SATA
>     and Ethernet problems) and put it in a Windows machine where it
>     works fine, so I am guessing there were some driver issues.  I put
>     the nVidia board from the Windows machine into the FE/BE and have
>     had no problems.
>
>     Steve
>

> If you are getting a motherboard with an onboard NIC, just make a note
> of the chipset. I bought an Asus P5K-VM board with Marvell 88E8056 NIC
> chipset and there is no way this one can be made to work under Linux
> [...]
I've got an Asus P5LD2 Deluxe with a Marvell 88E8053 NIC onboard and it
works fine for me.  There is an issue if you're using the sky2 driver.
What happens is under times of heavy network load, the driver will just
give up.  To recover, you have to unload and reload the module.
Something else you can do is use the Marvell drivers.  I downloaded them
from the Marvell site and installed them as a kernel patch.  Recompiled
my kernel selecting their driver (sk98lin) and building as a module.
I'm running kernel 2.6.22 on Gentoo.

rodimus norm # lspci | grep Marvell
04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8053 PCI-E
Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 19)