[mythtv-users] Kudos and mythtv-users culture

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Sep 28 17:59:46 UTC 2007

Bill Barowy wrote:

> IMHO bottom posting is really not all that convenient as a norm.  I use kmail
> for a client, and since I'm usually following a thread anyway, it becomes a
> pain to rescan through text already sent to find the next contribution,
> *especially if entire messages are quoted*.  I find it more convenient to
> read top posters -- but it's even better when a *relevant* short quote of the
> prior message is referenced at the bottom.

You said it yourself: "I'm usually following a thread".

In groups with low enough traffic rates, or whose topic is very narrow,
almost all of the readers are in fact following all the threads, and top
posting makes sense.

In high-traffic lists, such as this one, with a lot of threads, many of
which are not of interest to all users, or even a majority of them, top
posting makes a lot less sense, because you have many people getting
just scanning subjects, who might become interested only after the
thread's been going a while, and in those cases bottom posting is a lot
easier to follow.

You point about editing posts is very true, and many posts here suffe
for the lack of it (I've sometimes seen the list's sig quoted four or
five times in a single post). There are perhaps times when not editing
is justified (as when posting from a BlackBerry for example) and I have
seen people apologize for such posts.

But all of this is irrelevant. Top posting here is discouraged for a
very simple reason: The list owner has requested it not be done.

Something very simple and direct about that :-)

beww