[mythtv-users] Upgrade path to .21 or .20.2

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Sep 28 18:46:53 UTC 2007

On 09/27/2007 03:54 PM, Ron Garrison wrote:
> On 9/27/07, Jeffrey Born <jeff.born at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm would like to upgrade to .21 to get the feature allowing myth to save
>> to multiply locations.  My question is if I'm doing this by yum what do I
>> need to change to upgrade to .21?  Or do I have to get the source?

Most likely you'll need the source.  The idea of SVN trunk builds in
repos is not a generally accepted idea.

So, to upgrade to SVN trunk, you simply need to sign up for (and begin
to read--almost religiously) the mythtv-dev and mythtv-commits lists.
Then, you'll need to go out and read the archives of these lists to
figure out what you need to do to prepare for the upgrade.  Then compile
and upgrade.  Then, reconfigure your system.  Then, do your best to
solve issues on your own using information in the archives and--if
possible--in the source.

> .21 has not been released yet - perhaps you meant the trunk?  I would
> personally go with .20-fixes as it contains some important fixes since .20.2
> was released.  I don't know if .20-fixes can be obtained from the
> repositories as I always compile from source.

0.20-fixes is definitely the best way to go if you don't intend to spend
a lot of time keeping up with MythTV development.

Note that the Storage Groups functionality only exists in SVN trunk (not
in 0.20-fixes or any released version of MythTV).  However, you can
simply use a script--like myth_archive_job.pl--to move recordings to
other filesystems and create a symlink in the recordings directory
referring to the new location of the file.  You can even set up
myth_archive_job.pl in a user job, so it can be automatic.  I used this
approach for about 9 months before Storage Groups existed, but after I
decided to break up my LVM.  I have to say that it wasn't any more work
than is using Storage Groups.

Mike