[mythtv-users] Ettiquette for this list when responding to messages

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Fri Sep 28 19:45:35 UTC 2007

On Fri, Sep 28, 2007 at 11:56:10AM -0700, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 28, 2007 at 01:20:47PM -0500, Mike LaPlante wrote:
> > I brought this up on atrpms-users once. For some reason on every list
> > I'm on, except ATrpms, I can just hit Thunderbird's "Reply" and it
> > always goes to the list address. But when responding to an ATrpm message
>
> That is wrong, they are misconfigured.
>
> > "Reply" goes to the sender. I think it has to do with the way the list
> > is setup. One user on that list suggested that I just always use "Reply
> > All" for any list, sure the sender gets an extra copy, but you know the
> > list will get a copy as well.
>
> Exactly.
> It also lets you reply to the sender only if you wish, and stops vacation
> auto replies from going to the list, and sometimes causing bad mail loops.
>
> You can read more about it here:
> http://marc.merlins.org/netrants/listreplyto.html
> and more details on my views (which were shared by most people on the
> mailman devel list, software used to run this list):
> http://marc.merlins.org/netrants/listreplyto.txt

Ah.  I almost misunderstood to be a pro-munger, Marc; I was on Barry's
list when the defaulting of that setting came up as well, and I was
also vehemently anti-munging.

People should get Real Mailers, which have a Reply To List command.
(Or at least Reply To Recipient, which is almost always equivalent.)

Embarassingly enough, *Thunderbird* is not.  :-}

Cheers,
-- jr 'mutt is' a