[mythtv-users] Coax splitters - how painful are they?

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Sat Sep 29 03:00:11 UTC 2007

On Fri, Sep 28, 2007 at 09:10:08PM +0000, R. G. Newbury wrote:
> Well I DO NOT FEAR a visit from the FAA....it would be the DoT up here

Transport Canada, no?

> Seriously, I want to combine a cable feed and an antenna through
> combiner, and feed one coax to the TV. Either feed alone is fine and I
> can switch them, but through a (cheap) combiner I get nothing watchable.

Correct: you're going to get collisions.

> Both signals have already been split: the cable coax to feed the
> mythbox, and the antenna has already been boosted (by a medium-cheap)
> amp, and split three ways, 2 of which feed the HDHR unit,
>
> This may not be the best setup.. I do not know. I do suspect that I need
> better splitters than the el-cheapo's I had in the bottom of a box of junk.
>
> Suggestions please.

It's next to impossible to combine multiple wideband RF sources;
you need a block converter to pull it off, and a lot of luck..
Cable companies do it by pulling every channel down to baseband and
then remodulate it to the channel you want it on, and feed it to a
directional combiner tree.

I'm thinking multiple tuner cards; why not?

Cheers,
-- jra