[mythtv-users] Ettiquette for this list when responding to messages

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Sat Sep 29 06:33:16 UTC 2007

On Fri, Sep 28, 2007 at 11:44:29PM -0600, Robert Johnston wrote:
> On 9/28/07, Jay R. Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 28, 2007 at 10:24:35PM -0400, Pam Ashworth wrote:
> > > and Thunderbird doesn't let you quote only selected text.
> > > Pegasus, which does, gives me 5 different options for Reply To for
> > > messages. It also defaults to one. And that's probably changeable.
> > >
> > > the only thing it doesn't do is thread properly. <hisssss>
> >
> > Neither does Gmail.
>
> I believe GMail uses the subject line to do it's threading.

It does.

> While it should use the in-reply-to header, there are problems with
> several mailers (Outlook, Outlook Express, Eudora, Pegasus, Mutt
> (IIRC)) not implementing the header (Or believing it's NNTP-Only), And
> listservs (I'm looking at you LSOFT) munging message IDs (Good for
> bounce and loop detection, bad for threading) that the subject tends
> to be a more reliable method for threading.

Uh huh.  Mutt gets it right, as does -- according to the email I see in
my box -- most versions of Outhouse and Outhouse Exploit.

I know for a fact tha Pegasus can do it as well, as my sister uses it,
and her replies thread properly.

None of those things constitute a valid excuse, though, for Gee-mail to
*ignore the header when it's there*.

That's just sloppy design, plain and simple.

I've designed software for 20 years, I'm entitled to bitch about it.

> It also means that when an unknowing user with a sane client replies
> to a message and changes the subject (Thinking this will cause a new
> thread to start), it's caught, rather than the spiralling mess of
> meandering threads that often happens elsewhere.

You're *supposed* to be able to change the subject line without
breaking the threading; that's precisely why I'm bitching.

At least, Gmail actually *sends* IRT's and they're right.  So it's only
their own users they're screwing.

Now, ITBOAPW, if you replied and changed the subject, your mailer would
*ask you* if you wanted to start a separate thread, and DTRT, but even
Mutt isn't quite that smart.

Which occasionally causes me to threadjack, as I don't ever put lists
in my address book, even on non-highjackable mailers like Mutt.

> In a perfect world, all mailers and listservs would do The Right
> Thing?, and this wouldn't be a problem. But this isn't a perfect
> world, and we have to make do with what we have. If you don't like it,
> I'll gladly beta-test your mail client free-of-charge. :)

Mutt.  It Sucks Less.

"Everyone else does it wrong" is *never* a valid excuse.

If everyone you knew was jumping off bridges, would you?

Cheers,
-- jra