[mythtv-users] "get the sources and fix it yourself"

Meatwad meatwad.get.the.honeys at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 16:49:08 UTC 2007

Bearcat M. Sandor wrote:
> On Friday 28 September 2007 in an email titled "Re: [mythtv-users] "get the
> sources and fix it yourself"" Meatwad wrote:
>> And Bearcat, I've been on a semi-private list since '96 where
>> top-posting will get you the ClueBat which is generally adorned with
>> asphalt, rock salt, rusty nails, razor wire and a splash of vinegar. I
>> generally just use the quoted colors in thunderbird to figure out who
>> said what but *for the love of glub*, please stick to either top- or
>> bottom-bottom posting but switching between them mid-thread is just too
>> damn much.
>>
>> --
>> mw
>
> MW,
>
> My apologies. I try, but i just got confused.  Every list has a different
> rule, but it seems that bottom posting is the rule on this one.

No worries. I just reread what I wrote and I came across a little
strong. Hadn't had coffee yet. Apologies.

I also noticed that I left out the most important aspect of myth (to me
anyway). In pursuit of a stable myth setup, I've had the fantastic
experience of actually learning linux at my own pace, as time permits.
It truly is a hobby for me. I get to monkey about with cool bits and
pieces, take it apart, put it back together again, fix it, break it, fix
it again. The downside is that I still don't know but a fraction of what
a pro would be expected to know and I find that I have to put an evening
or two aside now and again to bone up on NFS or Apache or whatever. But
that's OK because it's all fun to me and usually only costs me my time.

My advice to others that are just learning linux as a hobby or to run
myth: Do the research expected of you before hitting the maillist up
with a general plea for help. There are so many resources (perhaps too
many) out in the wild that I simply don't need to bother the list with a
question. Nine times out of ten, the list already has the answer I'm
looking for and that tenth is answered in another list.

Just my .02

--
mw