[mythtv-users] SPDIF over HDMI won't work! (Asus P5B, AD1988B codec, Nvidia 7600GS)

Bill Soudan bill at soudan.net
Sun Sep 30 01:34:26 UTC 2007

Hi all,

I'm upgrading my MythTV box, primarily so I can stick it in the basement and run HDMI and USB up to my living room.  The new box works great, except for one issue:  I cannot get audio working over the HDMI port.  Here's a list of the components I'm using:

1) Asus P5B Deluxe with on-board intel audio, uses snd_hda_intel module, AD1988B codec
2) XFX Nvidia 7600GS with HDMI support
3) LG 32LC7D LCD TV

The audio is routed from the spdif output from the onboard video to the 7600GS via one of two cables, a 2 wire internal, or a coax external.  I've tried them both, even together.

I've followed all the instructions I can find on the internet, including:

1) Unmuting the IEC958 input and twiddling the various IEC958 controls
2) Changing every volume level I can find
3) Playing with the 'model' parameter for the snd_hda_intel module
4) Testing with aplay -D spdif
5) Testing with Gnome audio control
6) Setting up an /etc/asound.conf that routes all sound to the spdif output

At this point I think something's just wrong.  Does anyone else use any of these components with any success?  Or is there anything else I could try?

I'm going to try to track down a receiver that supports spdif so I can just test the straight spdif out from the soundcard.  I have verified the TV in fact works properly by testing it the HDMI input using a DVD player.  In the meantime I thought I'd post in case anyone has any good suggestions.

Thanks,
Bill