[mythtv-users] Coax splitters - how painful are they?

Todd mythtv at vbref.org
Sun Sep 30 15:29:20 UTC 2007

"sean darcy" <seandarcy2 at gmail.com> writes:

> On 9/25/07, Jay R. Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 25, 2007 at 08:01:41AM -0600, Brian Wood wrote:
> > > A "perfect" two-way splitter would have 3db. loss. Since nothing is
> > > perfect in this world, most splitters actually lose 3.5db. per leg for a
> > > two-way split, and 7db. for a four-way.
> >
> > The Ideal 1GHz 4-port I just installed says 7.4db.
> >

> What about a 4-port that has only 2 [out] ports connected. Still 7db
> on the out ports, or 3db?
>
> What if the 2 unused ports have 75ohm terminators?

Still the 7db.

> I've got a splitter for the eight cable runs in the house to connect
> to Comcast. Only two are actually connected. This thread is making me
> rethink how I  do this.

If there's a cable modem involved,  a directional coupler should be
used to feed it, then video split off the lossy leg.  If it gets noisy
or weak,  call comcast and they'll come isntall a proper amplifier for
the video side.   Keep amplifiers iout of the cable modem's way, even
if they're bidirectional with a passive return.  Amplifiers boost
signal, but add noise to which cable modems are particularly
sensitive.