[mythtv-users] MythTV + Verizon FIOS: Can MythTV change channels?

Jerry Rubinow jerrymr at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 15:42:04 UTC 2007

On 9/30/07, Christian Convey <christian.convey at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm new to MythTV, and I've always had analog cable, so I'm kind of
> clueless about this:
>
> If I switch from analog cable to Verizon FiOS, will MythTV be able to
> select which channel it records from at a given time?
>
> I know with analog cable, the video capture card can be
> programatically driven to tune in different channels at different
> times.  But I can't find any info on how tuning is done on a system
> like Verizon's, and whether or not the MythTV-hosting computer can
> control which channel is being recorded.
>
> I guess my fear is that if I want to record some stuff from
> ComedyCentral, SciFi, and CartoonNetwork all at different parts of the
> wee-morning-hours, I'll need to wake up to manually change the channel
> between shows.

I have Verizon FiosTV, and I can tell you that all channels above 49
are digital channels (ie comedy central, sci fi, toon), so in order to
tune them, you need some way for your computer to tell the STB to
change channels (yes, in order to get those channels, you must have a
STB).  You can do this in two ways.  Either setup an IR blaster and
install LIRC, or use firewire to directly control the STB.  Unless you
pay extra for an HD STB, you likely will not have a firewire port on
your STB.

For channels in the 1-49 range (OTA and superstations), you can use
your analog card to directly tune them.

-Jerry