[mythtv-users] plextor convertx transcoding workaround

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Sun Sep 30 21:29:52 UTC 2007

* On Sun Sep 30, 2007 at 04:32:36PM -0400, Dale E. Martin wrote:
> > Transcoding lossy (ie, reencoding) does work for ConvertX files, I'm
> > doing it quite regularly now to cut out specific parts of videos.  It's
> > when we try to copy the encoded frames over without reencoding that
> > things get hosed up in mythtranscode.
>
> I was playing with this and I still get bad video when it's done.  I have
> unchecked "lossless transcode" from my transcoding profiles and asked to
> transocde to mpeg4.  Are there other specific settings I need?

The 'lossy' transcoder (ie, to MPEG-4 .nuv files) will still copy the
video if the source frame size is the same as the destination frame size
(ie, if you're transcoding from say 640x480 to 640x480).  Right now I'm
transcoding to a lower resolution because I'm not overly concerned about
the quality.  Once I have some time and figure out this issue I'll bump
the resolution back up and let it copy the frames over and only
reencode around the cutpoints as necessary.

--
Chris