[mythtv-users] Securing Mythweb

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Tue Apr 1 02:20:04 UTC 2008

Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> Harry Devine wrote:
>
>> Brad DerManouelian wrote:
>>
>>> Actually, it is working, but you need to configure your hostname
>>> correctly. Probably this part of your mythweb.conf file:
>>>          # By default, MythWeb uses the hostname program to look up the
>>> hostname of the
>>>          # machine it runs on.  If this reports incorrect data, or you
>>> run MythWeb on a
>>>          # machine without the hostname program, set this to your
>>> current hostname.
>>>          #
>>>          #   setenv hostname         "my_mythbox"
>>>

>> OK, I made the change and restarted httpd.  If I connect to my
>> "external" address from my internal LAN, it asks me for my
>> username/password, then changes the address bar to
>> http://hjdmyth/mythweb (hjdmyth is my hostname).  I can't try a real
>> outside external test until tomorrow, but I will from work.  So you're
>> saying that this should work now?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Harry
>>

> No idea. I don't know what you changed it to or what your "external"
> address is. Do you have access to a box outside of your network? You
> could ssh into it, then wget back to your server to see if it works. (Or
> ssh -Y and use a browser on the external machine and put the GUI on your
> machine.)

Well, my Myth box is 192.168.1.200 and my laptop is 192.168.1.102.  From
the laptop I can connect without a prompt going to
http://hjdmyth/mythweb.  From the same laptop, if I go to
<blah,blah,blah>.dyndns.org/mythweb (I masked out the first part; not
really important or relevant), I get prompted, then once the MythWeb
page shows up, I see the address bar change to hjdmyth/mythweb.  I get
the same thing when I try from my office PC, except the page doesn't
show up.  I get "page cannot be displayed".

Does that make sense?
Harry