[mythtv-users] The Death of MythTV in the US?

Wes Hardaker wjhns176 at hardakers.net
Tue Apr 1 03:42:40 UTC 2008

MTD> And, in truth, a-la-carte could mean the death of many channels (would
MTD> that really be so bad?) because of the disparity between the number of
MTD> people wanting ESPN and ABC Family.

There are certainly a diverse set of people to try and accommodate and
doing so is nearly impossible.  Right now, the people that watch "little
to even littler TV" are being shoved around the most (I fall into this
category; probably 30 minutes a day max).  We either don't get to fill
that 30 minutes with the best possible 30 minutes of programming we wish
because 75/mo is too much to spend on 30min/day OR we bite a big cash
hit for little use.

On the other side of the coin, certainly, is what happens with
a-la-cart.  The paint-drying-channel is a prime example.  It fits a
narrow band of people that probably otherwise couldn't get it on the air
easily.

Per-show-download-costs will probably solve a lot of this in the
future.  Paint-drying channel folks will either pay more or accept
lower-cost programming.  American Idol fans will likely have a cheap
cost because the show will be so widely bought even though the operating
cost is high (though not because it requires writers).