[mythtv-users] TheSniderPad.com Mac build + network LIRC problems

Sam Jacobs samlists at ijacobs.co.uk
Tue Apr 1 13:01:01 UTC 2008

On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 5:27 AM, Wade Maxfield <mythtv at hotblack.co.nz> wrote:
> David Snider wrote:
>  > Congratulations!!!  I'll try to include your steps into future builds to
>  > get the LIRC bundled correctly...
>
>  So is that going to mean I'll be able to use a different remote (say a
>  MCE + receiver) with a standalone OS X build?  Or does it have to tie
>  back to a backend with a receiver?
>
>   - Wade

At the moment, I'm using it tied to the backend, but it isn't an issue
for me as the backend is just sitting at the end of the desk. lircd on
OS X doesn't seem to directly support any USB or serial receiver
hardware, however, using an audio input with a special homebrew
receiver[1] should work directly - but it will apparently need
separate power from somewhere. A serial homebrew receiver that will
work with a USB convertor[2] sounds more promising, since you could
take the power from the USB connector the convertor is plugged into -
but there's a little relay daemon that would need porting.

Something I'm looking into (since my electronics skills are completely
non-existent - I actually bought my serial homebrew receiver from
eBay) is a Sony Bluetooth remote for my Mac frontend. This isn't
supported by lircd on the Mac either, but it does work with a great
piece of Mac pay-ware called Remote Buddy.

But anyway, getting MythFrontend.app to build with lirc support means
support for anything lircd running on Mac OS X can receive from.
Currently however, this appears to be limited to network stuff
(connecting to another lircd and probably receiving from something
like an HD HomeRun) and the audio input thing if you build lircd for
it properly.

Sam

[1] http://people.inf.ethz.ch/mringwal/lirc/
[2] http://www.foxharp.boston.ma.us/avrlirc/

--
Sam Jacobs on MythTV 0.21, UK Freeview, EIT-only EPG
mythbox: BE+FE, Mythbuntu 8.04, Athlon XP2000+ at 1.6GHz, 512MB RAM,