[mythtv-users] How hard is it to build an HD MythTV?

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 15:08:45 UTC 2008

On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 1:46 PM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 4:44 PM, Brad DerManouelian
>  <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:
>  >
>  >  Commflagging is fast. You don't need a beefy CPU to do this in any sort
>  >  of reasonable amount of time.
>  >

>  A question about this...
>
>  So far I haven't been bothering with commercial skipping at all.  I
>  record almost entirely HD OTA (USA).
>
>  My backend is a p4 2.8 Ghz.  Right now I'm running mythcommflag from a
>  command prompt on a one hour 1080i show using all methods.  It's
>  progressing at about 27 fps (so it'll take a bit longer than watching
>  the show in real time) and using most of the CPU.  Does that sound
>  like what I should expect?  Given the cpu needed just for decoding I
>  assumed that performance made sense.

that sounds about right, my backend is a Athlon64 3200+, I run two
mythcommflag sessions at a time and they do about 20fps each. When I
had the machine as my combined FE/BE, it used about 80% CPU average
while recording and during playback, so 27fps on your P4 sounds right.

>  Does the method affect the speed much?  I've read that logo detection
>  can work pretty well with OTA HD.  I'm assuming the bulk of the work
>  with HD is simply mpeg decoding and that the method may not have much
>  impact.

yes, it will, specifically I don't know, and to be honest I think your
right, I don't think it will affect it that much either.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!