[mythtv-users] How hard is it to build an HD MythTV?

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 15:13:59 UTC 2008

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 8:45 AM, jedi <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 10:07:40AM -0700, allene222 wrote:
>  >
>  > I am getting ready to buy a new computer to do this but have a question
>  > before I spend the big bucks.  How much difficulty am I going to have
>  > getting this thing running right?  I don't want to buy everything and find I
>  > can't get it to work.
>  >
>  > I know, it depends.  Background: I have put together a web and email server
>  > and have maintained it for maybe 10 years.  Problem is it is so stable that
>  > I forget everything by the time it comes to change anything as I don't use
>  > Linux otherwise.  For example, changing to Fedora 5 from Red-Hat 7 was a
>  > huge pain.  I have done a fair amount of C programming, so that isn't an
>  > issue.  I have also programmed in php and have limited exposure to MySQL.
>  > (I coded www.paloaltophoto.com in a text editor for example).
>  >
>  > But I read the solutions posted in this forum and they go right over my
>  > head.  Oh, just put this patch in some conf file...  Then what, recompile
>
>     Some things tend to be complicated and there's no getting around that.
>  Although those bits have gotten recently a lot easier (lirc & ivtv). However,
>  some combinations of hardware are just more trouble just as certain hardware
>  is always more trouble on Linux (like ATI video or wifi).
>
>  [deletia]
>
>     If you pay attention long enough it's easy to hear what works.
>
>     In my own experience, using an HD homerun has been much easier
>  than dealing with a cheap QAM card (air2pc). You can even get them
>  retail at Microcenter now.

and you don't have to worry about a motherboard with a lot of PCI
slots. of course if you have digital cable and a "friendly" cable
company, you can use firewire from the cablebox and get more than just
the OTA stations.

>     As far as display goes, I have had very good experiences with
>  the DVI ports on my mac minis. They support both svideo and HDMI
>  cheaply and fairly easily. So I would tend to recommend nvidia or
>  intel vidcards with dvi ports at this point.
>
>     I've found display profiles in 0.21 a bit of a chore though.
>  I've yet to find satisfactory results with HD using the internal
>  player. CPU usage is about 3x what is is in xine.

probably your choice in deinterlacer. xine should not be significantly
faster than the internal player.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!