[mythtv-users] RFD: MythTV-users-Mac mailing list

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Tue Apr 1 16:06:30 UTC 2008

Craig Treleaven wrote:
> I wonder if there is enough support to create a new mailing list
> focused on MythTV running on Mac OS X?  I've been running an all-Mac
> Myth setup since August 2007.  The backend has been amazing
> stable--it have never once crashed.  My impression is that there may
> now be enough Mac users that a Mac-specific list would be viable.
>
> There are a few factors that suggest that a separate list for Mac
> discussion might be warranted:
> 1) The Mac OS X port of Myth is sufficiently different from the Linux versions:
> -utilities and support programs (wget, etc) are either not present by
> default on Mac OS X or stored in directories that are unique to OS X.
> -libraries are bundled with the app and thus accessed differently.
> -some feature of Myth don't work under OS X.
> -fewer tuners are supported under OS X.
> -etc.
>
> 2) Directing Mac-specific traffic to another list would help reduce
> the volume of the MythTV-users list to the benefit of non-Mac users.
> Mac-specific posts now run the risk of being lost in the flood.
> Having a separate list would make it easier for Mac users to support
> other Mac users.
>
> 3) Having a separate archive of a MythTV-users-Mac mailing list would
> make it easier to find answers.  Now, it is often difficult to find
> Mac-specific threads as a post might say "Mac", "OSX", "OS X" or
> something else.
>

> I suppose the objection to creating another list would be that folks
> with mixed (Mac/Linux) setups would need to monitor two lists.
> Cross-posting would definitely be an annoyance.  OTOH, I think having
> a separate Mac list would also benefit mixed setup people as issues
> are generally specific to a platform.
>
> Looking down the road, as the Win port progresses, one could imagine
> a MythTV-users-Win list might make sense.
>
> Thoughts? Objections? Support?

No. Certainly not a sanctioned Mac list, anyway. That's like telling all
Ubuntu users to go post in the Myth Ubuntu list or Fedora users to go
post in the Myth Fedora list. Or Debian users to go post in the Myth
Debian list. (This excludes specific distros like Mythbuntu or Mythdora,
of course.)

People learn a lot from these lists and even if something isn't specific
to your platform, there is enough info to get you headed in the right
direction to solve an issue on whatever platform you're using. I've
learned a TON by reading about how people solve problems in Debian and
I've never used it in my life. It would be a shame if all those answers
were stored away on some Debian-specific list that I would never think
to read - or search - for answers.

-Brad