[mythtv-users] Using a large satellite dish (8-10 feet) with MythTV?

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 16:09:06 UTC 2008

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 10:03 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:

>  On Mar 31, 2008, at 9:25 PM, Chad wrote:
>  >
>  > Much appreciated.  Assuming I can somehow figure out where to get the
>  > hardware, how to hook it up, get some receivers that play well and
>  > have some decent output...  Any idea on how you then go about signing
>  > up for per-channel subscriptions directly with the channels?  I read a
>  > story about this person in Canada that did just that, instead of
>  > paying the cable-co/sat provider, they setup a contract themselves for
>  > about  $0.40 / channel.  From there, how do people who use this route
>  > get program guide information?
>
>  C-Band satellite subscriptions are available from outfits like
>  SkyVision in the USA. Your receivers will have integrated descramblers
>  and you will need to provide the address codes to your provider.
>
>  You will find a lot of programming "packaged" just like cable and DBS
>  satellite, the "Denver 8" is an example.
>
>  At least in the USA I don't really see any advantage to using a C Band
>  dish, unless you want/need some specific source not available
>  elsewhere. It will ultimately be more expensive and probably more
>  hassle than traditional alternatives.
>
>  You can find a lot of interesting stuff on C band though, including
>  backhauls of sporting events and corporate stuff, and of course a lot
>  of religious broadcasting.
>

>  beww

That's too bad.  I'm really not interested in more than a maximum of 5
channels available from any given provider today aside from broadcast
channels which I get with my OTA setup.  Any "package" gives me
significantly more than 5 channels and typically the lowest package
available doesn't include all 5 channels I want.  Instead I have to
subscribe to a minimum of 100 channels on DISH or 150 channels on
DirecTV or (not sure how many, but extremely costly) the highest
package from my cable provider just to get the 5 channels I want.
After reading a bit about C-Band stuff and the article listed above
(or below maybe depending on your reader) I was really hoping I could
setup something with the providers themselves and bypass the middleman
to get just my 5 channels for assumingly a massive upfront cost of
materials but a mediocre cost of maintaining the service (a monthly
fee of maybe a buck a channel).

Hmmm....  I guess I'll just have to figure something else out.  Any
suggestions?  :)

-Chad